Thursday, July 11, 2013

DIY Fabric Softener

I LOVE being able to hang my clothes outside on a nice sunny day but I HATE it when they get all crunchy and stiff. This homemade fabric softener is amazing. I use it in my dryer or in a spray bottle and spray the clothes on the line and they dry nice and soft and fluffy. It can also be made to meet your families needs, dye free, gluten free, etc. I'm certain I got this recipe somewhere but I've been using it so long I don't remember where.

Equal parts:
Hair conditioner (this is where you can customize it. If you like dye free or gentle detergents pick a conditioner that meets that requirement. I've made this fabric softener for a friend that is gluten free so I made sure to use gluten free conditioner.)
Vinegar
VERY Hot water ( I don't boil it or anything I just use the hottest water that comes out of the tap.)

Put the conditioner in a mason jar till 1/3 full, add vinegar to another 1/3 of the jar and then fill the rest of the way with HOT water. Stir to combine. do not shake it will bubble and won't combine well.

What I do for using it in the dryer is take a microfiber wash cloth from the dollar store and soak it in the fabric softener solution and let it hang till its completely dry. I throw that cloth in the dryer with all my loads... I can tell when its losing its effectiveness and I resoak and dry it. I actually usually have two clothes that I can alternate so I don't have to sift through the dry clothes to find the washcloth for the next load I just throw the other one in there with it. For hang dry clothes just put the solution in a spray bottle and spray on your clothes after they are hanging on the line.

That's it! Hope you enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment